Player 1 : Pick 4 letters from the bowl, place them randomly on the empty base plate and pass it to Player 2.
Player 2 : Read the 4 letters.
Player 2 : Remember as many letters as possible and return the plate to Player 1.
Player 2 : Pick all the letters from the alphabetical base plate that you remembered and move them to the bottom.
Both players : Compare and discuss the letters.
How to prepare
2 base plates
2 identical sets of letter bricks, from “A” to “Z”
Arrange a set of letters in alphabetical order on one of the base plates.
Place the rest of the bricks in the bowl.
Ask “Compare strategy for remembering and finding the bricks”.
Ask them “How can we make this activity easier/harder/for more players?”.
Start with fewer alphabet bricks, from “A” to “J”.
Change the number of letters to be remembered.
Add a timer: more or less time to read / to find the correct letters.
Children will develop these holistic skills
- Discover the “spatial organisation of a page”
- Organize: find objects in their usual place; return them to their usual place; sort or categorize by placement, function, attribute; gather materials for a task
- Cooperate and share: Work together to facilitate individual learning
- Anticipate potential problems, identify steps for resolution including alternative solutions
- Develop tactile exploration: Explore a braille page through touch: search with both hands over a page with a logical tactile strategy – top to bottom and side to side
Did you know?
Engaged learners demonstrate motivation and commitment towards their learning, often extending themselves beyond set goals and expectations.
Iterative : when children have the opportunity to explore and investigate new concepts, they learn through the process of trial and error.
Braille activity groups
Learn braille letters, numbers, mathematic symbols and punctuation signs and know how to read and write them.
Assemble characters brick by brick and play with words in order to develop the ability to read and write.
Assemble characters, play with numbers and develop the ability to do basic mathematics and geometry.