Read, identify and correct errors in short sentences created in a peer play activity.
Player 1: Write a short sentence with 3 mistakes
Player 2: Read the sentence
Player 2: Look for mistakes and propose corrections
Both players: Discuss corrections
How to prepare
2 base plates
All the letter bricks
Prepare one of the base plates alphabetically for ease in finding letter bricks.
Suggest “Use the alphabetical storage baseplate to quicky write your sentence”
Ask “What is your strategy to read the words and correct mistakes?”
Change the number of mistakes and the length of the sentence
Replace sentences by words to be changed to plurals (eg. cat/cats, mouse/mice)
Work on punctuation signs, upper case letters
Place the few needed letters for correction in a bowl
Children will develop these holistic skills
- Discover the function of the written word: Make suggestions for corrections to get closer to the written form (syntax, vocabulary, concordance of times)
- Apply rules for braille contractions, punctuation and mathematical signs
- Perform operations on letters and word syllables: remove, add, reverse, locate, substitute
- Develop vocabulary and understanding in reading: Discuss word meanings, link new meanings to those already known
- Articulate and justify answers, arguments and opinions
- Develop tactile tracking skills: Sustain tracking along a line of braille
Did you know?
Despite literacy being serious business, it can be learned in playful ways.
When concepts are new or very complex to young children, high-quality instruction is especially important for their learning.
Braille activity groups
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: CHARACTERS
Learn braille letters, numbers, mathematic symbols and punctuation signs and know how to read and write them.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: LITERACY
Assemble characters brick by brick and play with words in order to develop the ability to read and write.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: NUMERACY
Assemble characters, play with numbers and develop the ability to do basic mathematics and geometry.