Read the Number
Improve knowledge of 2-digit numbers. Manipulate and combine braille bricks on a base plate, and create new numbers.
Pick 2 bricks.
Read what is on each brick.
Place the 2 bricks next to each other on the base plate.
Read the new number (e.g. 25 or 52) you have made.
How to prepare
1 base plate
10 number bricks (“0” to “9”)
1 number sign brick
Place the number sign brick in the top left corner of the base plate to indicate the bricks are numbers.
Place the remaining bricks in the bowl.
Explain that we are not going to put the number sign in front of each brick. The number sign in the top left corner of the base plate indicates that all the bricks are numbers.
Ask “How can you create a more engaging activity?”, e.g. throw 3 bricks -like dice- and carry out the activity with the bricks that are not upside down.
Increase the number of digits by picking more bricks.
Arrange all the bricks on the base plate and ask the child to write a given number.
Children will develop these holistic skills
- Use numbers to show a rank, a position
- Learn through action, observation, analysis of personal action and observed activity: Appropriate methods and tools to learn
- Share rules, roles and responsibilities
- Identify consequences of behaviors in social interactions
- Identify various leisure activities to be done alone or with other people
- Anticipate potential problems, identify steps for resolution including alternative solutions
Did you know?
Because child development is beautifully complex, we take a holistic view and highlight the importance of children’s physical, social, cognitive, creative and emotional skills and how these complements and interact with one another.
This activity promotes development of these holistic skills.
Braille activity groups
Learn braille letters, numbers, mathematic symbols and punctuation signs and know how to read and write them.
Assemble characters brick by brick and play with words in order to develop the ability to read and write.
Assemble characters, play with numbers and develop the ability to do basic mathematics and geometry.