Roll and Pick Numbers
Search, identify and collect specific number bricks on a base plate in a peer-play activity.
Player 1: Roll the die, read it
Player 1: Find all the bricks on the base plate that are the same number you rolled.
Player. 1: Place them in your bowl
Player 2: Follow the same directions and take turns until no bricks remain on the baseplate.
The winner is the player with the most bricks.
How to prepare
1 base plate
1 number sign brick
12 number bricks (2x “1”, 2x “2”… 2x “6”)
Place all the number bricks anywhere on the baseplate, in various positions (vertical, horizontal)
Explain “Number sign brick placed once on the top left corner of the baseplate indicates all bricks are numbers.”
Suggest “Can you imagine a math story using the same rules?”
Use 2 dice and write numbers up to 12
Place uneven numbers of equal bricks
Children will develop these holistic skills
- Stabilize knowledge of small numbers: Associate the written number, constellations of dice, finger configurations, dot cards corresponding to a counted quantity (up to 10)
- Engage in solitary play activities for an ability appropriate amount of time
- Share rules, roles and responsibilities
- Participate with other students in both leadership and follower roles
- Discover the “spatial organisation of a page”: Take reference points in the page
Did you know?
« Play is intrinsic to the human being from birth. It is a source of knowledge, relationships, interactions and learning. It is from play that every child comes to form his or her individuality and role in the community. » Jennifer Vega
Braille activity groups
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: CHARACTERS
Learn braille letters, numbers, mathematic symbols and punctuation signs and know how to read and write them.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: LITERACY
Assemble characters brick by brick and play with words in order to develop the ability to read and write.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: NUMERACY
Assemble characters, play with numbers and develop the ability to do basic mathematics and geometry.